Calvary Church is a growing community of Christians
with a joyful approach to worship and doing God's work. We are an
inclusive church where all are welcome. Together we celebrate life's
great and small events, mourn life's great and small sorrows, and
worship God with hymns, prayers, and words of faith to enhance our
We are guided as Methodists by the Wesley Quadrilateral
Visit the United Methodist Web Site for more
information about the beliefs, organization and history of United
A Brief History of Calvary's Formation &
On November 12, 1916, 22 Methodists
met at Trinity Baptist Church and decided to build a church in East
Arlington. From that time until January, 1923, worship services
were held at the Grand Army Hall, now the American Legion Hall.
Sixty-four people were received into membership in December, 1916
and the church was given the name Calvary Methodist Episcopal Church.
In 1917, a lot was purchased at the comer of
Mass. Ave. and Linwood St. and on November 29, 1920, the cornerstone
of the new sanctuary was placed.
Calvary Church was designed by J.H. McNaughton
and W. J. Perry and built in the colonial revival style in 1920.
The belfry at the top of the tower was designed by Charles Bulfinch
in 1809 and donated to the church in 1921 by A.G. Van Norstrand
of Charlestown. The completion and dedication took place in 1923
and in 1925 the parsonage was built. A Parish House (Educational
building) was attached by Arland Durand in 1953. The name of the
Church was changed to Calvary United Methodist Church in 1968.
The Church was listed on the National Register of Historic Places
in 1983. The Church Sanctuary was remodeled in 1991.
Calvary Church and Arlington Heights Church
merged in 1994 and the merged church was named Calvary Church, United
Lay Leadership Committee
The Lay Leadership Committee intentionally seeks
to discern specific needs of the church, and creates a process to
invite, train and support leaders necessary in fulfilling the mission
and priorities of the church.
The Stewardship Committee believes that the act
of giving is a critical part of Christian living. Together with
the congregation, the committee develops and creates opportunities
such as the annual pledge campaign, that enable us to live out our
faith as children of God - which includes being faithful stewards
of the blessings that have been entrusted with us through God's
Pastor-Parish Relations Committee
The primary role of the PPRC is to act as a "bridge" between
the congregation and the staff. One of its primary tasks is to support
our pastor and other staff so that they can work effectively in
managing the ministry of our congregation.
Additionally, the PPRC is also the link to the external
United Methodist community. We represent the voice of Calvary Church
and participate in the activities and decisions that impact the
entire United Methodist community.
The Trustees oversee the financial well-being of the church and
its facilities and ministries.
Calvary Church, United Methodist
300 Massachusetts Avenue
Arlington, MA 02474
Church Office: 781-646-8679
Office Hours are Monday through Thursday, from 9:30
a.m. to 12:30 a.m.
Rev. Christine Elliott
Coordinator of Lay Ministries
to Calvary Church
The church is in East Arlington on the corner of Mass.
Ave. and Linwood St. Linwood St. is a short dead end street that
ends within sight of beautiful Spy Pond. The church is near the
Minuteman Bicycle Path and is between Capitol Theater and Arlington
Center. Arlington is between Cambridge and Lexington.
From Route 2 East: Exit
at Lake Street, go to Mass. Ave. and turn left.
From Route 93 South:
Exit at Medford Square, right at rotary, left in the square, right
at Route 16 West, go to Mass. Ave. and turn right.
Parking: Park on Mass.
Ave. and surrounding streets. Please do not park in the semicircular
driveway in front of the church.